One of the most commonly asked questions at the Blairsville-Union County Chamber of Commerce is “when is the best time to see the leaves?” The answer to that question is difficult. The most common response is “the third and fourth week in October” However, there is a very scientific reason that determines the amount of color we are privileged to see in the autumn season. Let’s take a closer look at this.
According to the US Department of Agriculture, “The amount and brilliance of the colors that develop in any particular autumn season are related to weather conditions that occur before and during the time the chlorophyll in the leaves is dwindling. Temperature and moisture are the main influences.” While variations in these two factors ensure that no two autumns are alike, the consensus is that “A warm wet spring, favorable summer weather, and warm sunny fall days with cool nights should produce the most brilliant autumn colors.”
We believe that the autumn of 2017 is going to be a brilliant one! Make your plans to come visit the North Georgia Mountains from October through November. Some of the best leaf peeping spots in Blairsville-Union County are:
- Brasstown Bald – Highest natural point in Georgia. You can see beautiful colors for miles!
- Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway – Stunning, meandering road with breathtaking views.
- Lake Winfield Scott – The secret of Suches. Take a ride on Hwy 180 for delightful colors.
- Vogel State Park – Every angle provides exquisite vegetation for the leaf connoisseur.
- Blood Mountain – From the top of the Appalachian Trail, both the views and colors are sublime.
There are no shortages of activities in and around Blairsville-Union County this time of year. From festivals to fundraisers, music to motorcycles, and concerts to culture heritage, there is truly something for everybody! A full list of all the events and event details happening in and around town are available online at www.VisitBlairsvilleGa.com. Here’s a small sampling of upcoming events:
- Blairsville Sorghum Festival – Oct. 14th, 15th, 21st, & 22nd from 9am-5pm at Meeks Park.
- Fall Hoedown – Oct. 21st from 12pm-7pm at Vogel State Park.
- Joshua Dream Ranch Corn Maze – Weekends in October on Hwy 76 just past the VA Clinic.
To keep an eye on the leaf changing over the next few weeks, check out http://gastateparks.org/LeafWatch or https://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/. Both of these websites, and many others, will keep you up-to-date on the expected peak of fall for the North Georgia Mountains.
For detailed local area information including maps, directions, lodging, and upcoming event information please stop by The Welcome Center located in the Union County Community Center at 129 Union County Recreation Road, call 706-745-5789, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us online at www.VisitBlairsvilleGa.com.